Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I Have To Teach What? What's That?

As I tiptoe through the breezy field called Homeschool, life just seems so simple and in order.

NOT

Let's be real here.  I've been homeschooling now for 4 years.  The subject content for 2nd-4th grade was not difficult (for me anyway).  Add, subtract, multiply, divide, parts of speech, types of sentences....I remember that stuff.  Science was more about discovering the world and how things work and react to one another and doing fun experiments.  History, well, we did a lot of reading.  Then 5th grade hit this year and some things changed.  I still have the spelling, math, science and history under control.  But, I have to be honest about Language Arts.  I haven't diagrammed a sentence in over 2 decades.  I tried convincing myself that it wasn't really necessary and we could skip those lessons.  But, I found that it really helped Matthew to understand how words relate to one another in a sentence.  So, we pressed on......prayerfully.

Now, we are diving into Latin.  What?  
"I took French and Italian in high school and college, Matthew.  Can't we do those languages?" 
"No.  Latin is cool, Mom.  It's ancient and noone really knows it and we'll sound like we are talking in code to one another.  Plus, I want to learn it so I can teach Latin to my friends in Sunday School." 
How can a mother resist?  So, we pressed on......prayerfully. 

I realize this is just the beginning.  What happens when the really "scary" subjects start to come?  Like....



Trigonometry


               Chemistry




                                             Physics




I start to lose my confidence.  It's time to make a plan.  I know Matthew is only finishing up 5th grade, but it's all moving so fast and before I know it I'll be knee deep in Latin conjugations, the Table of Elements, Newton's Law and who knows what else that will make my heart skip a beat.  I stop, breathe, pray, and I can feel things calming around me.  The spinning has stopped and the "scary" isn't so scary any more.  Because I remember that 

Philippians 4:13 tells me
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"

God has called me to homeschool our son.  Therefore, He will equip me with the necessary knowledge and tools to do that.  It is our job to train up Matthew in the way he should go.  That means in all areas - spiritually, emotionally, and educationally.  So, we press on....prayerfully.

Here's my plan and I hope it helps you to...
  • Pray
  • Eat some humble pie.  When I don't know the answer, or when I don't know how to do something, or when I have never even heard of something, I need to admit this to myself and my son.  Then, we will learn together.
  • Ask for help from friends and family.  We have many people in our lives with gifts, talents, knowledge and skills that I can't even begin to imagine having.  I will look to them for help and guidance.  I will even hand over the reigns in certain subjects to those I trust with my son so they can teach him the things that I can't.  I've already done that.  Our friend, Tim, is teaching Matthew guitar and, Becky is teaching my son Art. 
  • Use the resources of my community.  There are clubs to join that can teach my son about things I don't know about or I'm not an expert in....rocks, chess, photography, aviation and more.
  • Look to the amazing families in my homeschool support group, Home Circle.  The Co-ops offered there include subjects that baffle me like political science and economics.  These classes even include high school credit.
  • Look to the other homeschool support groups in my area.  We have participated in these before which is where my son learned beginner sign language.  That co-op offers a multitude of other classes in the areas of science, math, history, and foreign language.  Many of which also include high school credit.
  • Dual Enroll!  Most of the high school students dual enroll at the local community college.  Not only are they taking courses that are advanced, but they are earning college credit in the process.
  • Use online classes for the more difficult subjects.  Florida offers a free virtual school where homeschool students can take one or all of their classes online with a certified teacher.
  • Pray Again

 Ahhh, I can breathe again.  I have a plan.  I have a purpose.  I have a God.  I have Peace.

 I know this won't be easy.  Things that are really worth it are rarely easy.  My son is worth it.  I know that with God leading the way this can only be an amazing journey and I will press on.....prayerfully.

 




If you would like to read what some other members of TOS Homeschool Crew had to say on this topic, just click HERE.

3 comments:

  1. A common phrase in my house is "I don't know, lets look it up!" I know as the years come I will be learning (or rather re-learning) right along with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've got a great plan for dealing with those difficult subjects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post Doreen! Sounds like you've got a great plan. There are many times when I have to admit to my high schooler that I don't know either, and then we figure it out together. Those days are the most enjoyable. ;) You did such a great job with your photos in this post. Loved it. Thanks for following, I'm now following you back!

    ReplyDelete